What Happens if My Dog Eats Chewing Gum?

“My dogs ate five sticks of gum! What should I do?” Asked the caller, just before my office closing. As a secretary for an animal practice, I am pretty utilized to this type of telephone call. Really, I am educated to ask a few important questions, for example:

  • What kind of gum did your puppy ingest?
  • What components are inside?
  • How long ago did your puppy take away the gum?
  • How much chewing gum did your dog eat?
  • How much does your dog weigh?
  • Is the dog showing any signs?

Now, the responses from the pet owner are extremely significant and can determine if an emergency room visit is essential.

Can the Gum Contain Xylitol?

When an owner accounts that their puppy ate routine sugared bubble chewing gum (not the sugarless type), then we could both exhale a sigh of relief. Sure, even if a dog eats a good deal of dog ate gum, we could anticipate some digestive upset. If the puppy is on the side, there might be possible for an obstruction to grow, particularly if the foil has been ingested, too.

Gum Containing Xylitol Is Toxic and Poisonous to Dogs

The actual concerns arise when a puppy eats sugarless gum which has xylitol within it. Xylitol is very poisonous to dogs. When an owner accounts that ate sugarless gum containing xylitol over a few hours before, then the vet requests to get the owner bring from the dog instantly.

Luckily, fast, supportive attention will assist a puppy recuperate, but these tales do not necessarily have a happy end. In case your puppy lately ingested chewing gum with xylitol inside, quit reading now and get in touch with your vet. Time is of the essence.

In case you’ve got a friend or relative who will get in touch with the vet for you, you can immediately scan another section.

Things to Do If Your Dog Ate Gum

  • Determine the Kind of gum your pet ate. When it had been sugary gum free of xylitol, your pet can develop gastrointestinal upset–particularly if they ate a sizable volume. Monitor your puppy. Speak to your vet if you discover any symptoms of a puppy intestinal congestion .
  • If the gum has been sugar-free but did not have xylitol, just sorbitol, aspartame, or mannitol, you shouldn’t find any ill consequences.
  • If your puppy swallowed gum with xylitol over the previous 30 minutes call your veterinarian. Your veterinarian may recommend you induce vomiting in the home using 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. If you can’t induce vomiting or do not feel comfortable doing this, see your veterinarian immediately.
  • If your puppy swallowed sugarless gum more than 30 minutes past, examine it to a veterinarian immediately, even though no signs are revealing. The sooner you find the vet, the better your prognosis.

Symptoms of Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Tremors
  • Loss of coordination
  • Seizures
  • Pale gums
  • Dark red blood stains on the teeth
  • Shock
  • Collapse

Even if your puppy does not show these symptoms immediately, seek the advice of your vet. Symptoms may not appear until a few hours after.

Your Dog Ate Sugar-Free Gum Without Xylitol
Other artificial sweeteners such as mannitol, sorbitol, and aspartame are not poisonous to dogs. Yes, exactly like xylitol, they’re considered “sugar alcohols,” but we do not see ill consequences with dogs eating them.

My Dog Ate Xylitol Gum Within the Last 30 Minutes and Has No Symptoms

In case your puppy swallowed sugarless gum over the previous 30 minutes, call your veterinarian. Your veterinarian may imply you induce vomiting in the home using 3% hydrogen peroxide to lessen absorption. Vomiting is triggered when puppies don’t have any signs. The number of hydrogen peroxide to provide relies on your pet’s weight. If you cannot induce vomiting or do not feel comfortable doing this, see your veterinarian immediately. Your vet may cause nausea with different strategies or can perform a gastric lavage. Activated charcoal hasn’t proven to work for xylitol toxicity in dogs.

My Dog Ate Xylitol Gum More Than 30 Minutes Ago

If your pet ingested sugarless gum more than 30 minutes past, examine it to a vet promptly if no symptoms are evident. Your veterinarian can provide supportive services to reduce the odds of complications. The sooner you find the vet, the better your prognosis. Consider that symptoms can appear later.